Ride Along Waiver & Guidelines
In order to facilitate this program, the guidelines listed below have been established. Please review them carefully, as all are very important.
• Police Department shifts begin at 7:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m., and 11:30 p.m. daily. As a participant, you must decide on what day and designate the time you will report. You are requested to ride for at least two hours or for the entire tour of duty, if you desire. Report to the shift supervisor at the dispatch center on the date and time you select. You must make arrangements for transportation to and from the Police Department.
• The waiver form and the attached application must be completed and returned to the West Virginia University Police Department at least five days prior to the requested Ride-Along date. The application and waiver form must be completed in their entirety and signed.
• As a participant, you are requested to be appropriately attired, in such a manner that you will in no way reflect negatively upon yourself, the program or the University Police Department. The following are examples of types of clothing that are not acceptable: (1) halter tops, crop tops; (2) hot pants, shorts; (3) sandals. * We suggest dressing in Business Casual attire but it is not a requirement.
• You are encouraged to ask questions about police work; however, keep in your mind that your police partner cannot conceivably know about every event that has occurred on the campus. There may also be information of a sensitive or confidential nature in which the officer is not permitted to discuss.
• In order to comply with the department’s policies, you must utilize the safety belts in the police vehicle. Certain police calls are considered inherently dangerous, and your police partner may respond to the call after dropping you off in a safe place. Wait for another officer to pick you up at that location.
• DO NOT interfere in any way with the officer’s handling of a situation. You may ask questions concerning a specific assignment after it has been completed and you have left the scene. Tape recorders and cameras are NOT permitted in the police vehicle.
• We are hopeful that you will enjoy your Ride-Along and that you will find the experience beneficial. We are pleased with your interest in the West Virginia University Police Department.
Waiver & Guidelines
Ride Along Form
Do Not Fill This Out